The City of Chico uses Social Media Platforms to engage and inform the community about City events and information and to improve transparency. These guidelines apply to all official Social Media Platforms operated by the City of Chico and its Departments. Examples of Social Media Platforms include, but not limited to, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
The City’s official website – chicoca.gov – is the City’s primary means of internet communication, not its Social Media Platforms. If you have an emergency or need immediate assistance, please do not report it on our Social Media Platforms. While the City will work to engage with the community via social media, notices or requests for City services must be made through official communication methods identified on the City’s website, or by traditional methods of notification recognized by the City. No comments or posts on the City’s Social Media Platforms will be construed as providing notice to the City of Chico of any claim, deficiency, dangerous condition, request, or otherwise. THE CITY OF CHICO SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES ARE NOT MONITORED 24/7.
The City intends to create a limited public forum to disseminate information regarding the City’s mission, activities, meetings, and current events. The City wishes to protect the accuracy and integrity of the information posted on its Social Media Platforms and of content attributable to the City and its officials, mindful that the City’s community members rely on this information to be truthful, accurate, and complete. To meet these standards, posts and comments on City accounts shall NOT contain:
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, statue with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
- Abusive, vulgar, offensive, threatening or harassing language, personal attacks of any kind, or offensive terms that target specific individuals or groups;
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party, including, but not limited to infringement of a copyright, trademark or any registered mark;
- Comments not topically related to the particular article or post being commented on; hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion;
- Materials that promote, encourage, or appear to promote or encourage, the use or possession of unlawful or illegal goods, services, and behaviors or activities;
- Commercial solicitations, commercial promotions, or content containing any unsolicited or unauthorized advertisement;
- Sexual or obscene content or links to sexual or obscene content;
- Information that may compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- Proprietary, confidential, or privileged information;
- Malicious software (malware) such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, spyware, adware or any other unwanted software.
The City will report comments that violate the Social Media Platform’s terms of service to the Social Media Platform. The City, further, reserves the right to restrict or remove posts that include the information described above consistent with the First Amendment and other applicable law. The City will not engage in any unconstitutional discrimination in restricting or removing posts, including viewpoint or content-based discrimination.
The City’s posts are subject to the California Public Records Act and, therefore, may be subject to public disclosure. This includes comments and other posts made by third parties on City Accounts, which may be considered public records subject to disclosure. The City will maintain content on its Social Media Platforms pursuant to the City’s records retention policy. The City reserves the right to terminate any City account at any time without notice.
The City’s accounts may contain content, including but not limited to, advertisements or hyperlinks over which the City has no control. The City does not endorse any hyperlink or advertisement placed on City Accounts by the Social Media Platform’s owners, vendors, or partners.