While the main responsibility of the City Clerk is to serve as the liaison between the public and City Council, additional responsibilities include the following:
- Coordinating and administering all activities of City Council meetings in compliance with the Brown Act and related Government Codes
- Elections official for special and general municipal elections
- Ensuring compliance with the Political Reform Act and Ethics laws
- Maintenance of the City’s legislative history and Municipal Code
- Managing and coordinating Council appointed boards and commissions
- Administering the City-wide Records Management Program
The City Clerk also serves as the custodian of the City seal and is appointed by the City Council.