The City of Chico’s process for approaching the implementation of the requirements of Senate Bill 1000 is best broken down into three phases.
PHASE 1 – Understanding Existing Conditions
This phase is currently underway and will culminate with the completion of an Environmental Justice Existing Conditions Report for the City of Chico. This phase will have three opportunities for community input and engagement: Comments submitted to staff related to the draft of the Existing Conditions Report, responses to online surveys related to existing conditions, and in-person engagement events related to existing conditions. Community contributions and input are essential in the outcomes of this stage.
Phase 1 timeline
- January – April 2022
- Staff began work on Senate Bill 1000, exploring planning processes from around the state and beginning development of the Environmental Justice Existing Conditions Report.
- Stakeholder interviews began with local government and nonprofit organizations who provided insight which further drove development of the Existing Conditions Report.
- First draft of the Environmental Justice Existing Conditions Report circulated amongst staff for review in different City Departments.
- May 2022
- June 2022
- In-person community contribution opportunities – informing revisions to the Existing Conditions Report. - Click Here to View
- Online community contributions end at the end of June.
- July 2022
- Staff compile community contributions and develop a final draft of the Environmental Justice Existing Conditions Report for 2022.
PHASE 2 – Plan Development
Phase 2 will begin after the completion of the Environmental Justice Existing Conditions Report and will consist of the development of draft Goals, Policies, and Actions for a new General Plan Element which seeks to address and remedy environmental justice challenges identified in the Existing Conditions Report and community engagement. This phase will have opportunities for further community engagement. Details on the engagement opportunities will be posted to the website at the end of July.
Phase 2 timeline – TBA
PHASE 3 – Implementation
Phase 3 will begin with the presentation of the Draft Environmental Justice Element to the Planning Commission for a recommendation for City Council to adopt the plan, and then to City Council for the adoption of the element into the Chico 2030 General Plan. This phase will have opportunities for community engagement at each public meeting where the element is being considered.
Phase 3 timeline – TBA