Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Reporting
The Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Reporting System allows City employees, residents, and others to report suspected instances of fraud, waste, abuse, and more.
On March 25, 2014, the City Council approved Administrative Procedure and Policy (AP&P) 10-45 establishing a Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Reporting system. The purpose of the system is to offer City employees, residents, contractors, and any other party an avenue to report any City-related activity or conduct in which he/she suspects instances of fraud, waste, or abuse, and City-related violations of certain federal or state laws and regulations relating to fraud, waste and abuse as defined in California Government Code §53087.6(f)(2).
We only investigate cases that relate to City of Chico activity. This may include vendors doing business with the City and organizations receiving City funds.
How to Report?
Any employee, contractor, or resident who discovers or suspects inappropriate activity can report in several ways. You can remain anonymous and do not need to provide your personal information. Reporting can occur by:
Hotline Reporting – calling the City’s third party reporting firm at 1-855-423-2557
- Preferred Method, with over 180 languages and a live person 24/7
- Online Reporting – web intake form at Report City Employee or City Vendor
What to Report?
We need sufficient information to properly investigate your complaint. The following information is needed to begin and continue processing a complaint/concern:
- The misconduct involves a City of Chico employee, a City contractor, or an organization doing business with the City,
- The name of the individuals or organization,
- Specific information regarding the misconduct,
- Circumstances surrounding how the alleged misconduct occurred,
- Where or in what department the alleged misconduct occurred,
- When the misconduct occurred, and
- If applicable, what would you like done about your complaint/concern.
When reporting through Hotline Reporting or Online Reporting, you will be provided an incident number that will allow you to check on the status of the case. Additionally, if additional information or documentation is needed, the case records will be updated on the items or details needed. Thus, you are asked to check in periodically.
City’s Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Reporting Policy (AP&P 10-45)