2021 Open Enrollment
October 1 – 30, 2020 for changes effective January 1, 2021.
It’s that time again – OPEN ENROLLMENT! This is the one time each year when, without a qualifying event, you can:
- add or delete dependents from Medical, Dental and Vision or choose a new Medical plan;
- enroll in, increase or drop Voluntary Life Insurance;
- enroll/re-enroll in a Section 125 Medical or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA);
- enroll in, or change, AFLAC coverages.
NOTE: If you do not wish to change your benefits or re-enroll in an FSA, no action is required during Open Enrollment.
Medical, Dental, & Vison Changes*
Individuals who previously opted out will need to re-verify during Open Enrollment. HR will contact you individually to arrange renewed documentation.
Flexible Spending Account (FSA/Section 125)
FSAs must be re-elected annually.
Flexible Spending Accounts are part of Section 125, established by the IRS. Section 125 allows employees to set aside money for future medical and child care costs on a pre-tax basis.
Employees can enroll in a Medical FSA or a Limited Purpose FSA (Dental & Vision Only), and/or a Dependent Care FSA.
Book an appointment with our rep, Adam Brubaker!
Sign up for a meeting: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0945a8a62eabfd0-aflac3
Current Available Times:
10/12: 7:00am-1:00pm & 3:00pm-6:00pm
City of Chico Dedicated Aflac Website: http://www.aflac.com/chico
Video Link For General Aflac Info: https://youtu.be/Gn_SuaFbKvM
Questions? Contact Adam directly:
ICMA-RC Deferred Compensation
Contribute to an ICMA-RC retirement plan automatically each paycheck.
Did you know? CPSA and CPOA members have a 10% match!
While this information is listed under Open Enrollment, for ease of access, employees can elect Deferred Compensation at any time, and do not need to wait to start contributing until January. If you elect and would like to start January 1, please specify the start date to HR.
Enrolling online is quick and easy!
- Go to
- Enter and confirm your Social Security number, then enter your plan number: 307126
- Select your enrollment method:
- Express: enter your personal information and contribution information. Later, through Account Access, you can submit your investment and beneficiary information.
- Comprehensive: enter your personal information, beneficiary information, contribution information, investment allocations, and create a user ID.
- Note: At this time, City employees can only elect dollar amounts and not percentages with ICMA. Please only list dollar amounts.
- Use the print enrollment form feature at the end of your online enrollment process to print the form.
- Provide HR a copy of your enrollment form and complete a copy of the in order to initiate your contribution through payroll deductions.
Need additional help? Watch a short video guide to see how easy it can be to enroll online. You can also contact the City’s ICMA-RC representative listed below.
Once you’re enrolled, use the following resources:
- Manage your account online.
- Get tips and tools to help you save and invest — www.icmarc.org/education.
- Review your saving and investing goals with your ICMA-RC representative:
Retirement Plans Specialist
Desk: 1-866-749-5180 | Cell: 202-527-0118 | Email: email@example.com
Click here to schedule an Appointment with Mark
Voluntary Life Insurance
Don’t forget, this is in addition to the City Paid Group Life Insurance that is already provided to you at no cost!
All active, full-time, permanent employees working at least 20 hours per week and their eligible spouse and children are eligible for Voluntary Life Insurance.
- Employee: $10,000 increments, up to 5x the employee’s annual earnings, not to exceed $500,000.
- Employee Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D): $10,000 increments, up to 5x the employee’s annual earnings, not to exceed $500,000. Coverage may be purchased regardless of whether or not voluntary life is purchased.
- Spouse: $5,000 increments, up to 100% of employee coverage for voluntary life or AD&D.
- Children, birth – 6 months: $1,000
- Children, 6 months – 19 (or 26 if full-time student): $2,000 increments, not to exceed $10,000.
Open Enrollment Guaranteed Issue Amounts:
Employees already enrolled in Voluntary Life can elect/increase to up to the following amounts with no medical assessment required.
- Employee: $20,000.
- Employee AD&D: Up to 5x the employee’s annual earnings, not to exceed $500,000
- Spouse: $10,000
- Children, birth – 6 months: $1,000
- Children, 6 months – 19 (or 26 if full-time student): $10,000
The City is contracted with Workterra for Retiree and COBRA insurance administration. Retirees or COBRA participants wishing to make an Open Enrollment change must contact Workterra directly at: 888-327-2770.
Retirees Turning 65
Retirees turning 65 within the next year do not need to make Open Enrollment election changes in anticipation of an eventual Medicare status. Turning 65 is a qualifying event and the change can be made within 30 days of your birthday.
Please notify Workterra within 30 days of your age 65 birthday and they will discuss the following options with you:
- Dropping the City’s Retiree coverage. Note: your dependents cannot stay on the insurance if you are not on it; they will transition to COBRA coverage, with a limited term.
- Retaining the City’s health insurance to use as secondary insurance (premiums will change).
Returning Forms to HR
If you self-enroll on Workterra, you’re all done – they will notify us of your election changes.
If you complete paper copies, please don’t email items containing social security numbers – it’s too risky. Instead:
- Put them in an interoffice envelope and send them to HR (just make sure they arrive no later than Friday, October 30th at 5PM)
- Or try a new tool we’ve just installed on all City copiers! Scan your proxy card, press Scan > Scan to HR. (Note a slight variation for PD copiers: Scan & Send > One-Touch > HR Scans – you may have to follow the down-pointing arrow/bottom right if there’s an extensive list.) Your document will magically appear in a scan folder on our end and will be acknowledged by an HR staff person within a short period of time (watch your email for a confirmation). Hold on to your originals until you receive confirmation; otherwise, no need to send the originals to HR.
- Working from home and need another solution? Reach out to Karen Allison, at 879-7908, to discover other options based on the technology you have available.
|Amanda Patton (Strand)||firstname.lastname@example.org||879-7905|
|HR Main Lineemail@example.com||879-7900|
ACA Regulations & Important Guidelines
Preventive Services Covered under the Affordable Care Act
Anthem Blue Cross Medical Insurance
Anthem Customer Service
Customer Service: (800) 967-3015
|Plan||Summary of Benefits &
Customer Service: (800) 711-0917
Customer Service: (888) 855-7806
Delta Dental Insurance
Customer Service: (800) 765-6003
VSP Vision Insurance
Customer Service: (800) 877-7195
Employee Assistance Plan (MHN)
Customer Service: (800) 322-9707
Customer Service: 888-CalPERS (or 888-225-7377)
Lincoln Financial Group Life and Disability Insurance
After medical, dental, vision, and flexible spending account elections are made, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations generally permit changing those elections only during the next open enrollment (October of each year). However, if you experience a “qualifying event” during the year you may change certain benefit plan elections mid-year. The Human Resources & Risk Management Office must be notified of a qualifying event within 30 days of the event in order to make changes to your elections. No exceptions to the 30 day notification deadline are permitted. A qualifying event allows you to add or remove yourself or dependents from the City’s health plans, but does not allow you to change the plan you are enrolled in. Changes to the plan you are enrolled in may only be made during the City’s Open Enrollment Period, to be effective the first of the following year. At the time the change is requested you may be required to submit proof of the qualifying event or evidence of other coverage.
Core Benefits Available
|CalPERS Retirement||Medical (4 plan options)|
|457 Deferred Compensation||Dental + Orthodontic Benefit|
|Short Term Disability||Vision|
|Long Term Disability||Flexible Spending Account|
|Group & Voluntary Life Insurance|
Time Off Benefits
|Paid Holidays||Military Leave|
|Bereavement Leave||Jury Duty Leave|
|Personal Time Off/
*Eligibility Depends on bargaining unit and position.