The design of the fountain includes six identical bronze trout poised in a chorus line on top of a Sierra White Granite stone measuring 31″ X 10′ 6″. Water spouts from the mouths of the fish and flow over the granite into a rectangular, shallow basin surrounded by a concrete bench.
The artists wanted to create the feeling of an old city well/fountain where people sought water and shared information. In those times the well was the center of the community as is the “Dancing Trout” fountain which is situated in the heart of Chico at the City Municipal Center across from the downtown City Plaza.
- Artists: Patrick Collentine and Susan Larsen
- Year completed: 2003
- Dimensions: 8′ X 20′, including base
- Media: Tile, concrete, and bronze
- Location: 421 Main Street
- Funding Source: RDA Art Fund and Maintenance Funds
- Selection Process: Local request for proposals. Selection panel consisting of arts professionals, community members and project manager.