The following is a general description for the Citywide Systemic Safety Improvement Project which proposes various safety improvements throughout City limits. The project is funded with Federal-aid Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds.
Four safety countermeasures will be implemented at various locations citywide, including:
- Improve signal hardware on Walnut Street/SR32: This component of the project will improve signal hardware at three locations along Walnut Street/SR32 between West Second and Fifth Streets. Improvements will replace existing signal back plates with new back plates outlined with yellow retroreflective tape, replace existing pedestrian push button assemblies with accessible pedestrian signals and replace non-count down pedestrian signal heads with count down type.
- Improve Signal Hardware in Downtown: This component of the project will improve/replace existing signal back plates with new back plates outlined with yellow retroreflective tape at fourteen locations along Main Street and Broadway between East First and Seventh Streets.
- Install Enhanced Pedestrian Crossings at Uncontrolled Locations: This component of the project will install pedestrian enhanced crossings at five locations citywide, including Rio Lindo Avenue at the bike path, Lassen Avenue at the bike path, Burnap Avenue at the bike path, Fair Street at 23rd Street and Park Avenue at 13th Street, including installation of solar powered rectangular rapid flashing beacons, high visibility crosswalks, and ADA compliant improvements as needed.
- Upgrade Intersection Pavement Markings: This component of the project will upgrade safety features at forty unsignalized intersections citywide. Typical improvements will include pavement striping and placement of slurry seal for pavement crack sealing and high visibility contrast
- Install Pedestrian Countdown Signal Heads: This component of the project will replace non-count down pedestrian signal heads with count down signal heads at six intersections citywide.
Public Works Department
411 Main Street, 2nd Floor
Chico, CA 95928